Because of the unusual times we ask you to think of the following before your visit:
- At the entrance and shop we have plastic shields to protect you and our staff.
- Please buy your tickets at thevikingmuseum.com. The tickets can be used the whole day and will be scanned without contact. (It is possible to buy tickets at the museum).
- Restaurant Glöd is open 10am-4pm the whole summer.
- The shop is open!
- We have guides in the exhibition, reminding you about the distance. We would also like to remind everyone of your own responsibility.
- Do not visit us if you show any signs of Covid-19.
Experience the Viking Age
In the vivid exhibition you will meet the Vikings through movies, scenery, projections and sound effects as well as archaeological objects. Knowledgeable guides in Viking gear will answer all your questions and the many replicas let you explore life as a Viking with all your senses. You will learn about the Viking raids, journeys and mastery in ship building as well as the everyday life at the farm. The Norse mythology is present everywhere and here myth meets truth.
The adventure ride Ragnfrid’s saga takes you along on a captivating journey through Viking age Europe. You will follow Harald and his crew on a dramatic quest for silver. The story told by an ageing Ragnfrid is built on historical characters and events and is recommended from 7 years.
Audioguide and adventure ride is available in English, Russian, Finnish, Italian, French, Spanish German, Chinese and Swedish.
In the exhibition, several guided tours are held daily in Swedish and English.
You will find the programme here.
You can also book a private guided tour. Highly recommended for groups of 10 or more people. You will find more information here.
Ragnfrid’s saga is a Viking ride where you get to follow along on a trip to the Viking Age. The journey begins at Frösala Farm with Ragnfrid and her husband Harald. Then you proceed to go on a journey where you witness plundering in the west and slave trade in the east. With sounds, light and atmospheric environments you travel through the 11-minute journey that is told by Ragnfrid herself.
Ragnfrids saga is offered in the following languages: Swedish, English, Russian, Finnish, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, French and German.
Good to know about Ragnfrid’s saga
- We recommend that children under the age of 7 go in adult company as the Viking ride can be considered a bit scary by some.
- For those with hearing impairment, there are scripts for the Viking ride printed in Swedish and English. Ask for these down in the ride.
- Wheelchairs are not possible to be brought onboard the ride, but one of the carts has a foldable side which makes it easier to move from the wheelchair to the wagon. In the wagon you must sit with bent legs.
Our archaeologists and guides
Read about our guides and archaeologists
Guide and program coordinator
Master’s degree in general archaeology
Eric is a runologist, other than runes and runestones, Eric knows most things about helmets.
Museum host and guide.
Master’s degree in marine archaeology
The marine archaeologist Ellen knows most things about Viking ships, dragon heads and the Viking rides.
Emma van Eelen
Floor manager, Guide and program coordinator
Master’s degree in Osteoarchaeology
What can we really see by looking at bones? This is something that our Osteologist Emma really knows.
Floor manager, Guide and program head of programme
Master’s degree in osteoarchaeology.
Sara knows a lot about skeletons and women during the viking age
Museum host and guide
Bachelor’s degree in history
Hugo’s speciality is the myth about the Vikings and how the current image of the Vikings was made.
Museum host and guide
Bachelor’s degree in Scandinavian archaeology
Askur immerses in the Nordic literature’s oldest history; Islandic family tales.
Engage further into the viking age. Guided tours are held every day. Also, do not miss our special themed tours.